Saturday, May 23, 2009

The clinic

Hey everyone! I´m back in the big city for the weekend and have found some time to update. The clinic where I work is really really cool. The people are so nice to me and patient that I don´t speak a lot of Spanish. No one there speaks any English so it´s been interesting.

The clinic was started by an American NGO that has sponsored it for a few years. I believe it was opened in 2006 but I am not quite sure. They have one doctor there, his name is Max and they have a dentist (whose name I cannot remember) and several nurses who also act as secretaries. Everyone kind of does everything. They have a mini pharmacy there as well. I believe that the health care and the medicine there is all free, but my language skills have prevented me from asking too many questions.

When I first got there, they had me working in the stock room since I couldn´t communicate very well. Then I told the doctor that I have an interest in medical stuff and I have some EMT training from 2001 and know all the basics of taking blood pressures and vitals and all that. So he told me that from now on I would work with him in the clinic room and he would teach me whatever I wanted to learn. So far I mostly take blood pressures and glucose readings, but he has let me sit in on all the exams. I have gotten to do a pre natal exam (heartbeat and growth and all that stuff). I also got to assist with a pap test and I got to inject a poor kid in the ass with penicilin!! It´s insane what they will let me do without training or certification. They have also asked me to do a presentation on First Aid and CPR (in Spanish) once I get some more language down. I am also going to be doing a presentation on Sexuality for the schoolkids. I can´t believe the amount of teenage moms here. Its insane. But being that this country is hard core Catholic, I suppose the whole no birth control thing is a great excuse. However, don´t Catholics also shun pre marital sex?? Anywho...

I like the clinic and the people and I think I will be happy there.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Hi Kate!

Awesome that you took the initiative to ask to put your skills and interests to work.

The SMF-er in me is very proud and slightly jealous! :)

Mary and Rick said...

Wow! What a unique opportunity to do things you wouldn't get to do anywhere else. Well, not in Canada or the US anyway. (That's everywhere else, isn't it--I ask, tongue planted firmly in cheek.) Obviously, they're much more interested in the help you can actually provide than in some piece of paper that SAYS you can help. In those circumstances medical malpractice suits aren't likely to become a national hobby anytime soon.
Hmmm--a talk to the school kids about sexuality--in a largely papist country... Hope you're all on the same page regarding what the nature of that talk might be. Wouldn't want you kicked out on the keester that can't be named :-)
Sounds like you're having a fabulous experience. Looking forward to your next news.
Love.