Monday, June 29, 2009

Drama Follows Me...

So I think I'm gonna write a book some day about the drama in my life. LOL.
So while the county was going into peril, my host parents decided to get into a car crash with a bus. Now again, my crappy Spanish didn´t allow me to understand all of the details, but from what I gather, they were on their way back from the capital city when either a bus hit them, or a bus hit someone else and that person hit them. Either way, everyone was taken to hospital and now everyone is fine. All I know is, they went to the hospital and Elva (mom) was released that night with cuts and bruises, but Bayunardo (dad) was kept for observation for possible head and neck trauma. He was released from hospital yesterday and now they are dealing with the police and trying to find a way back home because their car is done. Poor poor people. So I was left on my own for the weekend which was nice, apart from the torrential rainstorm that punched a hole into the living room ceiling. At least it wasn't in my bedroom , but still.... and the rainstorm brought the mosquitos into the house... that was fun... and the storm or the crazy government cut our power. All in all, shit weekend. But hey.... I was also supposed to be getting a weeks vacation time to tour the country but now apparently there is an inspector coming to the clinic so I might not get to go. Sigh.... Ah well...

Its been really interesting watching how things are done here with this whole Coup thing. For saying this is a democratic country, it´s quite un democratic. First of all, they cut any news feed that the current government doesn't want people to see. On Friday there was a media ban in effect in Honduras while everything was happening. Afterwards all we were allowed to see was the new president being sworn in and everyone looking all happy. The news about what was happening to Zelaya was only being told through other countries´media (like Nicaragua and others) and within the hour of them being broadcasted, the channel was disconnected. Today's paper only talks about the new president and nothing about what happened or why. I was also told by my host brother that all the freedoms we are all used to will be, if they haven't been already, taken away. This includes freedom of speech, right to assemble and freedom of the press. I was told that if and when I can go back into the capital city that by no means should I talk about what I think about this situation in public, nor should I be involved in a group of more than 3 in the city streets. Scary stuff. But that´s the way it goes. I'm not gonna be stupid by any means. This is serious shit and people can be shot for less. They have been. Not to worry anyone, its just so crazy how things you hear about on tv or see in movies actually do happen.
I have a few other stories to tell about corruption and other difficult things I have seen and experienced in front of me but Ill get to those at another time.. I hope.

No comments: