Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Inspiration

Isn't it funny how inspiration can come from anywhere at anytime in the most unusual places? Take for example Sunday night for me. I had a pretty disappointing weekend and decided to go to a local Starbucks to drown my sorrows in hot chocolate and whipped cream and do some reading. The following quote happened to be on my cup and it made me smile and take pause.

"People need to see that, far from being an obstacle, the world's diversity of languages, religions and traditions is a great treasure, affording up precious opportunities to recognize ourselves in others." - Youssou N'Dour (musician)

I think this is one of our BB mantras because it helps us to remember that even though we may feel we are alone in all this, at the end of the day, people are people with the same issues, fears, beliefs and basic goodness. Makes it seem a little less scary.

4 comments:

j. said...

love this quote... I feel like differences and quirks are not appreciated NEARLY enough... why do we try to "westernize" everything anyways?!

and the next time you go to starbucks to read... let me know, it is one of my favorite pasttimes :)

Ruby Ku said...

Ahhh! those good old "The way I see it" quotes! I love them! but ever since I tried to be environmentally friendly and asked for mugs, I don't get to read those anymore. i definitely miss them.


love this quote, especially the part where it says recognizing ourselves in others.. oh oh.

another one of my favorite is “DEVELOP AN INTEREST IN LIFE AS YOU SEE IT; THE PEOPLE, THINGS, LITERATURE, MUSIC—-THE WORLD IS SO RICH, SIMPLY THROBBING WITH RICH TREASURES, BEAUTIFUL SOULS AND INTERESTING PEOPLE. FORGET YOURSELF.” - HENRY MILLER

vorsteveld said...

I love moments like this. It reminds me of the totally cheesy fortune cookie quote that somehow fit your life at the time - maybe because they are very generic? Anyway, loved the quote, and agree that it compliments the BB ideologies (despite being such a diverse group we have found ourselves in eachother...it will be a wonderful experience to find ourselves in people worldwide soon!)

Georgie_Bosnia-Herz_09 said...

It's becoming one of my fav. pasttimes too!

I'm glad we found each other (like-minds) too.

Side note: I LOVE your new blog! Keep up the great work Kate! :D